Inlays and Onlays Procedure
If you suffer from mild to moderate dental damage, inlays and onlays treatment may be right for you. Inlays and onlays are restorative dentistry treatments designed to improve dental appearance and restore function. To find out if inlays or onlays treatment is right for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Fountain Valley cosmetic dentist Andrew G. Mortensen. In the meantime, read on to learn more about the inlays and onlays procedure.
What Are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are tooth-colored restorations. Both inlays and onlays are generally made of porcelain or composite resin, either of which can be custom-colored to match the surrounding teeth. Inlays and onlays treatments can be used to replace old metal fillings or repair mild to moderate decay. Though inlays and onlays are used to treat dental damage, they vary in the following ways:
- Inlays: Inlays are used specifically to treat decay within the cusps, the bumpy structures of the molars.
- Onlays: Onlays are used when decay is more severe, extending beyond one or more cusps. In some cases the tooth may be too damaged for a dental filling but healthy enough not to require a full crown. Onlays are ideal in these situations, which is why they are sometimes called partial crowns.
The Inlays and Onlays Procedure
Though inlays and onlays are slightly different from each other, the procedure for both is basically the same. Each inlay or onlay is custom-made to match the color of the surrounding teeth and to perfectly fit within the damaged tooth. In order to create a custom fit, the teeth are cleaned, damaged areas are removed, and impressions are taken of the damaged tooth. These impressions are then used to mold the restoration. A temporary restoration will be placed while the inlay or onlay is crafted. Once finished, the temporary restoration is removed. The inlay or onlay is secured with dental cement, completing the treatment and restoring dental appearance and function.
Why Choose Inlays and Onlays
Inlays and onlays are a popular choice for repairing dental damage while also maintaining a natural appearance. Inlays and onlays offer many benefits. You may want to consider inlays and onlays treatment for the following reasons:
- Long lasting: Porcelain inlays and onlays are durable and long lasting. They can last well over 10 years with proper care.
- No tooth discoloration: Over time, silver amalgam fillings can turn the teeth a grayish color. With tooth-colored inlays and onlays, there's no risk of the teeth changing color.
- Improved dental appearance: Inlays and onlays improve dental appearance by restoring damaged teeth to a healthy appearance.
- Tooth preservation: Inlays and onlays preserve damaged teeth and prevent the need for tooth extraction.
Restore Your Smile With Inlays and Onlays Treatment
Don't let dental damage keep you from smiling. Inlays and onlays treatment can repair dental damage and improve your smile's appearance. Inlays and onlays can be used to treat new dental damage or replace old metal fillings. To find out if inlays and onlays treatment is right for you, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mortensen today.