Invisalign® Teen: Invisible Orthodontics for Young Patients
By Andrew Mortensen, DDS on August 29, 2014
Dr. Andrew G. Mortensen has helped countless patients around Fountain Valley with their dental care needs, including advanced orthodontic care. Many teenage patients who have crooked teeth can benefit from Invisalign®, an invisible alternative to traditional orthodontic care with braces. We'd like to look at how Invisalign® benefits teen patients and why it may be a great option for you.
About Invisalign® Teen
Invisalign® Teen refers to Invisalign® treatment that's performed with teenage patients in mind. It's the same as adult Invisalign® in all respects, able to address tooth gaps, crowding, overbites, underbites, crossbites, and open bites.
With Invisalign®, patients wear customized plastic aligners trays at all times save for when eating, drinking, or cleaning their teeth. Their teeth gradually straighten over time just as they would in braces treatment.
The Benefits of Invisalign® Teen Over Traditional Braces
There are quite a few advantages to getting Invisalign® Teen rather than wearing traditional braces:
- Invisalign® Aligners Are Undetectable - When Invisalign® aligners are place, they are very hard to spot since they are made from clear plastic. Laugh and smile all you want without feeling self-conscious.
- Invisalign® Aligners Can Be Removed Easily - The Invisalign® aligners are easy to remove for team sports, class photos, or social events like prom.
- Invisalign® Patients Can Eat Their Favorite Foods - Since Invisalign® aligners can be removed with ease, patients can eat their favorite foods without worrying about restrictions.
- Invisalign® Aligners Are Easy to Clean - Brushing and flossing is easy with Invisalign®, and the aligners themselves can easily be scrubbed clean and popped back into place with no problem.
- No Irritation from Brackets and Wires - Traditional braces can lead to irritation of the lips and sometimes the gums due to the brackets and wires. Invisalign® has no such issues since the trays contain no sharp or irritating surfaces.
Ideal Candidates for Invisalign® Teen
The best candidates for Invisalign® are people who suffer from malocclusion of various kinds. In general, Invisalign® is ideal for malocclusion that predominantly affects the teeth rather than the position of the jaw or the overall shape of the palate/dental ridge. More involved cases of malocclusion may require traditional orthodontic treatment or advanced orthodontic treatment instead of Invisalign®.
How the Invisalign® Teen Process Works
The Invisalign® process is computer designed. A digital impression is made of the patient's teeth, from which the whole Invisalign® treatment plan is then created, all the way from the first aligner to the last. Patients will wear each aligner for two weeks, switching out the old for the new. Periodic follow-up visits will be scheduled to monitor the progress of treatment and address any concerns patients may have about the Invisalign® process.
How long will I wear my Invisalign® Teen aligners?
In general, Invisalign® treatment takes about as much time to complete as traditional orthodontic treatment with braces, which is to say several months. The advantages over braces are many, of course, which is why so many teens and their parents prefer Invisalign®.
Learn More About Invisalign® Teen
If you or a family member would like to learn more about Invisalign® Teen and how it can benefit you and your needs, be sure to contact our cosmetic and restorative dentistry center today. Dr. Mortensen looks forward to your visit and discussing all of your options for improving the health, alignment, and appearance of your smile.
Related to This
Reach out to us today to set up an appointment and strengthen your oral health.
“I am proud to have served patients in our community. Through continuing education and state-of-the-art equipment, we are able to offer you and your family the high level of care you're looking for.” Andrew G. Mortensen, D.D.S.