Invisalign® Offers Patients Timely and Convenient Orthodontic Treatment
Crooked teeth and a misaligned bite can cause a number of oral health problems, in addition to the affect on the aesthetics of the smile. In order to improve oral functions and protect the health of the teeth and gums, we often recommend that patients undergo teeth straightening treatment. Unfortunately, many patients dread the idea of metal braces and months of orthodontic treatment. Dr. Andrew G. Mortensen understands that patients want a more comfortable, convenient, and discreet solution, so he offers Invisalign® invisible braces, an orthodontic alternative to traditional braces that can straighten the teeth in roughly the same amount of time. Dr. Mortensen is happy to discuss the Invisalign® treatment timeline with our Fountain Valley, CA patients so that they know what to expect during the treatment process, as well as when they can expect to benefit from straighter teeth and a more attractive smile.
The Invisalign® Process
Invisalign® treatment differs from traditional braces. Invisalign® is completely free of wires and brackets, is barely visible to the naked eye, and can be easily removed by the patient in order to make eating and oral care easier. Yet, when it comes to its effectiveness and the length of treatment, Invisalign® is very comparable to traditional braces. Below is a basic outline of the typical Invisalign® treatment process:
- Invisalign® consultation:Invisalign® treatment always begins with a consultation to determine if the patient is an ideal candidate for treatment. Dr. Mortensen will thoroughly examine the teeth to determine if Invisalign® treatment will be effective in correcting a patient’s malocclusion problems. Invisalign® can treat nearly all of the issues that can be corrected with traditional braces, including crooked teeth, an overbite, or an underbite.
- Treatment plan: If a patient is an ideal candidate for Invisalign® treatment, another appointment will be set up to create a specific treatment plan. During this appointment, Dr. Mortensen will use computer imaging and molds of the mouth to create a treatment course that will address the patient’s unique orthodontic needs. This information will be sent to the Invisalign® lab, where custom aligners will be crafted.
- Beginning treatment: When the patient’s aligners are complete, another appointment will be set up. At this appointment, Dr. Mortensen will ensure the proper fit of the aligners, go over all the details of treatment, and answer any questions that the patient may have.
- Progressing through aligners: Over the next several months, patients will progress through a series of custom aligners. Typically, patients will switch to a new set of aligners about every two weeks. Each aligner is slightly different and will provide the gentle pressure that is needed to gradually correct the bite and position of the teeth. Periodically throughout treatment, patients will meet with Dr. Mortensen to ensure that the treatment is progressing as planned.
- Completion of treatment: Each case will be unique, but, on average, patients are finished with Invisalign® treatment in nine to 18 months. Once a patient has progressed through all of their aligners, they will benefit from a smile that is more uniform, healthier, and easier to clean.
Schedule an Appointment
Traditional braces are no longer the only option available to those looking to straighten the teeth and improve their bite. If you’d like to learn more about the Invisalign® treatment process and the many benefits that it offers to patients, schedule an appointment with Dr. Andrew G. Mortensen at your earliest convenience.