Dental Care for Seniors
Staying healthy in your golden years is essential for enjoying old age. That goes for general wellness and dental health. That’s why Dr. Andrew G. Mortensen takes dental care for seniors seriously. Whether our older patients need a routine checkup or dental crowns for tooth decay and damage, our Fountain Valley, CA, practice can help.
Below we want to consider some of the dental health challenges that seniors face, and what kinds of treatments are part of senior dental care. If you have an elderly loved one, feel free to share this post with them for some insight into the health of their smile.
Dental Problems that Seniors Often Face
Seniors experience a number of dental health issues as a result of the natural aging process and long-term wear and tear of the teeth and gums. Common problems include:
- Tooth Decay - Older patients can still get cavities, and often have issues with untreated cavities.
- Tooth Loss - Tooth decay, fractures, and a host of other dental issues can lead to the loss of multiple teeth in advanced age.
- Gum Disease - Oral bacteria can infect gum tissue, resulting in periodontal disease that impacts gum health.
- Dry Mouth - Many elderly patients suffer from dry mouth. This leads to bad breath and exacerbates tooth decay and gum disease.
- TMJ Disorder - Dental alignment problems and wear on the jaw joint can lead to a TMJ (temporomandibular) disorder over time.
- Oral Cancer - As people get older, their risk of oral cancer increases. This is especially true of lifelong smokers.
Good Oral Hygiene Remains Key
Regardless of your age, it’s always important to brush your teeth at least twice a day and to floss at least once a day. This removes food particles and plaque, and protects you from tooth decay and gum disease.
Regular Dental Checkups
Older patients should visit our Fountain Valley practice twice a year for cleanings and routine checkups. This allows us to perform cancer screenings and other essential preventive care.
Treating Tooth Loss
If you’ve suffered from tooth loss, we can help restore the appearance and function of your bite. Custom dentures and dental bridges will blend in seamlessly with your natural teeth. You may also want to consider dental implants, which are artificial tooth roots that anchor dentures in place without the need for creams or adhesives.
Maintaining and Repairing Dentures
If you have a set of dentures, we can take a look at them to see if they’re damaged or worn. We may be able to repair the denture at the practice. When repairs are no longer viable, we can create a new set of comfortable and durable dentures for you.
Treating Dry Mouth
Dry mouth has many causes, so we’ll always attempt to identify the root cause of the problem. In addition to addressing the primary cause or causes of your dry mouth, we can recommend artificial saliva products and discuss your diet and hydration needs.
Learn More about Dental Care in Your Golden Years
If you are a senior and would like more information about your dental treatment options, we’re here to answer your questions. We encourage you to contact our dental practice online or call our Fountain Valley office at (714) 964-4183.